This is such an easy recipe to work with. No crazy ingredients and a very straightforward method. It’s got a thick dough, so it takes a little work to spread it out in the pan, but nothing difficult. My kids are crazy about it. I hope you like it.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips OR about 1 cup of chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper into the bottom of your cake pan to help the cookie not stick.
- Spread the dough out into the cake pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
- Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency.