This amazing Paleo Zuppa Toscana recipe I found at http://www.paleocupboard.com/ and I love it. You can add red pepper flakes to the soup to give it a little heat. I like mine with just a hint of spice so I always add a teaspoon or two. I hope you like it.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat or tallow
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 medium turnips, skin removed and chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place a large stockpot over medium high heat. Heat the bacon fat or tallow and add the Italian sausage to the pan and stir to brown the sausage for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and turnips and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the kale and almond milk and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes or until heated through and turnips and kale are tender.
- Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve.