Ingredients and directions:
- 1 recipe of this chocolate cake (or your favorite cake mix, store-bought pound cake, etc.), cut into cubes
- 2 pints of any any ice cream that strikes your fancy (I would choose 2 different flavors), softened slightly
- Hot Fudge, Chocolate Syrup, Whipped Cream (or whatever topping you want)
1) In a standard loaf pan (or 6-inch cake pan, small round bowl, or whatever shape you want your trifle to be in), spread 1 of your pints of ice cream. Top with half of your cake cubes, pressing them slightly into the ice cream. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up. Then spread on your other pint of ice cream. Top with the other half of your cake cubes, pressing in slightly. Freeze for about an hour or so. Flip over your pan onto a serving plate to release trifle* and top with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, etc. Serve immediately.
* Tip for getting it out of the pan: fill the bottom of your sink with a little hot water. Place your pan in the water (just letting it cover the bottom and a little up the sides- you don't want water in your trifle). Hold it in there for maybe like 20 seconds and then flip the pan upside down onto your serving tray. If it still sticks, place back into the hot water for another few seconds. This process warms up the ice cream a little making it easier to slide out. *