Isn't this fantastic? This Flag Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream recipe is so delicious and I love it. So fantastic, so creamy just mouth melting. You can make this recipe with any season fruits. I hope you like it :)
1 white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
½ cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Strawberries for garnish
Blueberries for garnish
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Up to 4 Tablespoons milk or heavy cream
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- For Cupcakes: Combine all ingredients until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on med-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Divide batter equally in half between two bowls.
- Use red food coloring to color one bowl of batter to desired color of red and leave the other one white. Wilton brand gel colors have the brightest color and are good to use here.
- To make flag striped cupcakes alternately place a spoonful of red batter and a spoonful of white batter in the cupcake holder. The batter is thick, so it won't spread on its own. A great tip is to set out a little bowl of water where you're working. Dip your finger in the water and then gently spread the batter out. The water will make it so the batter doesn't stick to your fingers.
- Bake cupcakes according to the cake mix package directions.
- Frosting: Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. Garnish with strawberry fans and blueberries.