- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 300 g Farina 00 (Wheat Flour called 00)
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 185 ml milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 10 golden delicious apples, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 100 g apricot or peach jam
- 100 g sugar mixed with 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamonground
- 50 g walnut, coarsely chopped
- 100 g "uvetta sultanina" raisins
- 30 g pinenuts
- icing sugar (and whipped cream)
- To make the strudel pastry, place the milk, butter, and sugar in a saucepan and gently heat until the sugar dissolves, and the butter melts (reserve a little of milk mixture to brush the strudels).
- Place the flour in a surface, make a well in the centre and add the eggs, most of the milk mixture, and a pinch of salt. Stir until the mixture forms a ball, and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll out the first piece on the floured surface to an oval shape (approximately 2-3 mm thick). Spread the pastry with a third of the jam, going thinly to the edges. Spread a third of the apples over the pastry leaving a 3 cm edge free. Sprinkle with a third of the sugar (mixed with cinnamon), a third of the pinenuts, walnuts and raisins.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over the filling to create a large cigar, and roll the strudel up from one of the long sides of the oval.
- Pick up the strudel with a couple of spatulas and lay on a baking tray, covered with parchment paper. Follow the same process to make the next 2 strudels.
- Brush the strudels with the milk mixture. Bake them in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the strudels are golden.
- Cut the strudel into 4 cm slices, and before serving sprinkle with icing sugar (and serve with whipped cream, if desired).