- 300 g cherry dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa (I use Green & Black's)
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 50 g caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, or 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- fresh cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line the base and sides of a 23-cm spring-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper. Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass/metal bowl over simmering water.
- Whisk the egg yolks with sugar and stir in the melted chocolate, stirring well to combine. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining of the sugar until stiff peak. Fold the egg whites gently to the chocolate mixture, and pour the mixture to the cake tine.
- Bake for 20 minutes until just firm to the touch. Let cool on a rack to room temperature. When completely cool, remove from the tin, but keeping the base, and put on a platter. Whip the double cream with vanilla seeds or paste for the topping, and scatter with fresh cherries.