- 150ml dry white wine
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- large sprig lemon thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled, halved
- 2 sticks celery, halved
- 3 carrots (about 400g), peeled, diced 1cm
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Put mushrooms wine, zest, bay leaf, thyme, garlic, onion and celery in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the ingredients. Bring to the boil then boil gently for 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat and carefully strain through a colander into a large bowl. The liquid is the stock.
- Measure out 2 litres of the stock and place this in a clean saucepan. Freeze the remainder for future use.
- Add the carrots to the stock in the saucepan then put over high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Add peas to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve each bowl topped with a dollop of almond and parsley pesto.