- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 heaping teaspoon turmeric root, peeled and grated
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth (use whichever is your fave)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and sauté the garlic, ginger, turmeric, onion and carrot for 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, apple and broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until all of the veggies are soft. Turn off heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer soup into a blender in batches and blend until creamy and smooth. You will have t blend it in a few batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour blended soup back into pot (you will have to put it in another pot since you won’t be able to blend it all in one go) and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with toasted pumpkin seeds when serving.
- To toast the pumpkin seeds, place them evenly in one layer in a heated cast iron skillet. Cook on low, turning occasionally for a few minutes, until the seeds are toasted but not burnt. Drizzle a little soy sauce over them at the end for a nice salty flavor.