- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus a tablespoon more for buttering the pan
- 1 cup sugar (200g), plus a little extra for the pan
- 14 ounces dark chocolate (60% cacao bittersweet), broken into pieces
- 8 large eggs
- Parchment paper for the pan
- Preheat the oven to 300˚.
- Use the extra tablespoon of butter to grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Use about 2 teaspoons of it to grease the pan. Then cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Put the paper in the pan and use the remaining teaspoon of butter to grease the paper. Sprinkle the extra sugar (about 1 tablespoon or so) in the pan and shake it back and forth to cover the bottom. Pour out any excess.
- Melt the 2 sticks of butter and the chocolate together in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Stir it constantly once it starts to melt. When it has all melted and blended together, remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Beat the eggs with a mixer until light. Add the sugar a bit at a time, mixing at medium speed for about 6 – 8 minutes. The mixture should be pale and fluffy.
- Fold the egg mixture into the chocolate and gently stir until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared 9-inch cake pan.