- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 30 g ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, stalk and seeds removed, and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked in warm water to soften, and drained
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 450 g bok choy, washed and trimmed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound garlic, ginger and chillies to a paste.
- Add dried shrimp and pound them to a paste. Beat in shrimp paste and bind with a little oil.
- Heat remaining oil in wok or a heavy-based saucepan. Stir in spicy shrimp paste and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and beginning to colour.
- Stir in sugar and soy sauce until well mixed.
- Add bok choy, tossing it around pan to coat leaves in spicy juices until they begin to wilt.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.