- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 1 heaped teaspoon egg replacer
- Pinch of xanthum gum (less than 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup mango puree
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup fine polenta flour
- 1/2 cup plain gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 21/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- In a small bowl, mix the oats, milk, egg replacer, xanthum gum, mango puree and orange zest. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours and remaining ingredients (except for the almond essence).
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients with the oat and milk mixture.
- Finally add almond essence, mix well and portion into 12 muffin cases.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Yield = 12 muffins
Nutrition information = 89 calories per muffin, 1g fat (10% fat), 17g carbohydrate, 2g protein