A rich chocolate muffin made oil-free. The mashed avocado keeps these muffins nice and moist and adds some healthy fats. Plus, it is just so fun to get your kids to eat them!
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper baking cups.
- Mash the avocado in a medium mixing bowl, until smooth. Whisk in the maple syrup, cocoa powder, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Add the chocolate chips.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sea salt. Add the flour mixture to the medium mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the paper baking cups, filling them each 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.